Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The cemetery key....

In case you are wondering like Kevin is...

This is actually an interesting story. Jessica and I use to go walking in the cemetery in the spring. The gates automatically lock at dusk. One day we were walking our regular routine and we see this older gentleman with his grandson at the front side gate. They ask us if we are the gate keepers. Jessica and I look at each other knowing the gate is locked and we didn't bring our cell phones. We get to the front gate and it is closed! Locked! Funny thing is, the previous week we talked about where we would hop the fence. Well we went to our spot we decided on and we decided we would looks for a better area. So... we went to the far west side of the cemetery and jumped the chain link fence instead of the fence with horns/spikes. On the way home from our little adventure we decided that we needed to get a KEY in case that ever happened again (they left a flier on our door, that they were available sometime last year) And since the cemetery office is only open M-F 8:30-5:30 and Jessica and I both work north of the point of the mt. I decided to go get one on my day off.

Funny story ...when I did go to get the key. I walk in and there is a lady in her 50's and an older gentleman in his 70's or older. I think she was just a city employee and he probably has worked at the cemetery his whole life. I walk in and state what I am there for and the lady has me start filling paperwork out. As I'm filling out my info. the older gentleman says, "Are you really that lazy you can't walk around to the front gate!?!" I didn't know what to say, so I didn't say anything. So... he continues to explain that no one is suppose to be in the cemetery when the gates aren't open anyways. I continue to just stand there, waiting for the lady to get me my key. Then he says, "ma'am, you really that lazy?" I turned around and said." I am." Ha! I didn't know what else to say. I didn't want to explain we had gotten locked in, because he was being such a stickler on how no one was suppose to be in the cemetery because it is trespassing. Needless to say, Jessica and I won't be jumping any cemetery fences. And they shouldn't hand out a flier that keys are available if the old man is just going to call you lazy and make you feel bad.

3 comments:

Aislinn said...

what a funny story!

Dawn. said...

We got locked in once and at the front gate we found a button to push to open the gate up so we could get out. Sorry about the rude old man, We know the lady that helped you though :)

Michelle said...

that old guy is dumb. but the story about you and Jessica having to jump the fence is super funny....a great memory to keep forever!