Thursday, December 13, 2007

Gma's Yummy Sugar Cookies

Last Sunday I called Gma in a panic because I was making sugar cookies and the dough was really dry. I had gotten the recipe from her and was calling to see if I was missing an ingredient or something. She couldn't find the recipe and insisted that I make a different sugar cookie recipe she had, that they were the BEST cookie she had ever tasted....which I believe her since she is 84 and has probably had a lot of cookies in her lifetime.

I explained everything was mixed together and I just needed to know what wet ingredient I was missing. She still insisted, so she gave me the recipe but I had to wait to get more butter. I threw away what was already mixed and decided I would go with the BEST cookies ever recipe. So, Monday I went and got more butter since the recipe could probably clog some arteries with as much butter it calls for.

Sugar Cookie
1 C. sugar
1 C. powdered sugar
1 C. butter
1 C. margarine ....yes you read that right, butter and margarine...artery cloggers
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1tsp. baking soda
4 1/2 C. flour

Mix sugar, powdered sugar, butter and margarine, mix until smooth. Then add the eggs and vanilla. Mix dry ingredients together and add to wet ingredients. Pinch off dough and roll into ball and roll in sugar. Flatten and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

(O.K....the only thing I don't like is that you have to pinch off the dough. You can't roll it out and use cute cookie cutters.)

Frosting
1/4 pound butter ...had to look on the internet, math isn't my best subject = 2 cubes of butter
1/3 C. half and half
1 tsp. vanilla
1 box powdered sugar...it says a pound on the box, but Gma also said 3 cups works

Mix ingredients together. I put the butter, half and half and vanilla in before the powdered sugar. *Suggestion, don't dump the whole box in at one time....I think I need to invest in an apron.

I had to call Gma to see if I had to use a hand mixer or if I could just use the Kitchenaid. She said, "Kitchenaid?" I said, "um never mind I will just use the hand mixer"...guess Kitchenaids weren't around in her time. I must say these cookies are good. They are really soft, but crunchy...maybe because of all the butter. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Keith and Nicci said...

I thought they were very delicious:)